GitHub project integration (PREMIUM)
Introduced in GitLab Premium 10.6.
GitLab provides an integration for updating the pipeline statuses on GitHub. This is especially useful if using GitLab for CI/CD only.
Complete these steps on GitHub
This integration requires a GitHub API token
repo:status access granted:
- Go to your "Personal access tokens" page at https://github.com/settings/tokens
- Click "Generate New Token"
- Ensure that
repo:statusis checked and click "Generate token"
- Copy the generated token to use on GitLab
Complete these steps on GitLab
- Navigate to the project you want to configure.
- Navigate to the Integrations page
- Click "GitHub".
- Select the "Active" checkbox.
- Paste the token you've generated on GitHub
- Enter the path to your project on GitHub, such as
- Optionally uncheck Static status check names checkbox to disable static status check names.
- Save or optionally click "Test Settings".
Static / dynamic status check names
- Introduced in GitLab 11.5: using static status check names as opt-in option.
- In GitLab 12.4, static status check names is default behavior for new projects.
This makes it possible to mark these status checks as Required on GitHub. With Static status check names enabled on the integration page, your GitLab instance host name is going to be appended to a status check name, whereas in case of dynamic status check names, a branch name is going to be appended.