Allow customer to specify subfolder as docroot
This has been asked several times before and still is only partly answered since.
The option to change the docroot to a clean subfolder is necessary for a lot of applications to run properly (Zend Framework as mentioned here or Bedrock to name some examples). Additionally this makes deployments a lot easier in some cases as you can clone your repo into a subdirectory and deploy by pulling the master branch.
- This feature was requested the first time in issue #1528 5 years ago and was scheduled for 22.214.171.124.
- 4 years ago issue #2150 (closed) was opened with a similar request and was again scheduled - this time for 126.96.36.199
- In #2529 (closed) the same request was made and scheduled for 188.8.131.52 - 3 years ago
- A similar issue is #3584 (closed) where the requested behaviour was partly implemented with a rather simple patch
- Issue #3957 (closed) requested this again 2 months ago.
Why am i opening a new issue?
I want to emphasize that this feature is very important and a lot of users have been waiting for this for a long time. Especially when looking at the forums over at howtoforge.com you can see that this question has been asked again and again and again but still there is no good solution for this. I know that with Apache you can have multiple docroot definitions and this way you can use a subfolder as docroot, when configured manually but with nginx it's a different story.
I think it's apparent that we need a nice and convenient solution for this.