transport-mailman and virtual-mailman truncated, don't get populated anymore
This is in reference to previously reported issue #4135 (closed) about mailman.
At some point transport-mailman and virtual-mailman got truncated and since then no mailing lists can be updated any longer.
Past described fixes elaborated on POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/etc/mailman/virtual_to_transport.sh' no being set correctly or in /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS not being populated appropriately. Both is not the case.
When running /var/lib/mailman/bin/genaliases it raises no errors, but neither transport-mailman nor virtual-mailman get populated (they were in the past, but at some point got emptied):
-rw-r----- 1 root list 41 Jan 9 13:02 adm.pw -rw-rw---- 1 root list 48019 Apr 28 21:30 aliases -rw-r--r-- 1 root list 81920 Apr 28 21:30 aliases.db -rw-rw-r-- 1 root list 10 Dec 23 21:19 last_mailman_version -rw-r--r-- 1 root list 14100 Feb 8 07:54 sitelist.cfg -rw-r--r-- 1 root list 0 Apr 28 21:30 transport-mailman -rw-r--r-- 1 root list 12288 Apr 28 21:30 transport-mailman.db -rw-rw---- 1 root list 0 Apr 28 21:30 virtual-mailman -rw-r--r-- 1 root list 90112 Mar 3 21:09 virtual-mailman.db
Server OS: Debian Server OS version: 9.4 ISPConfig version: 3.1.11
Since I cannot find any traces in logs on what is going wrong I am having tough times tracing this one down. I have other servers running ISPConfig on the same version where this issue does not occur, these were installed first time with a later version of ISPConfig though. So potentially the issue raised throughout the path of upgrades.
After some further analysis I noticed that all previously created mailings lists are listed by mailman for another domain that is also hosted on this server (not in ISPconfig, but in mailman). After creating a dummy-list in that domain genaliases works as expected. So for some reason the mailing lists moved to the other domain internally within mailman.
Ok, and finally I think I found the root cause. We had altered the mailing lists and changed the configuration item host_name.
Since ISPConfig uses its own internal database to determine the list of hosts to include in mm_cfg.py's POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS there was a discrepancy between what ISPConfig thought there should be and what was there for real.
So not a bug with ISPConfig per se, but it was better if ISPConfig read the mailman config instead of trusting its own database when regenerating mm_cfg.py. Therefore I leave this one open, despite me not yet having found a good path for easily listing the hostnames mailman considers valid.